Monday, January 17, 2011

And the first to the finish line...


When I read the article about swarm the first thing that came to my mind was marathon running. I have been a runner my whole life and is something I enjoy but after reading this article I realize I never took into consideration how I am affected by the mass amount of people running along side me. Whether it is 5k or full marathon there is training involved. Most likely you train a lone or with one or two other people but in reality you are going to be running a long side of hundreds of strangers. Though everyone is a stranger everyone still follows the same strategies and falls in line with the others. The way in which you run is most likely a reaction caused by those around you. Maybe your adrenaline is pushing you faster or you want to keep up with the person in front of you. Maybe someone cuts you off and you trip. In reality all the training you do, sure it helps with the endurance but it doesn't prepare you for the sea of people you'll be battling the course with. It reminds me a lot of the ants talked about in this article. There is definitely an unwritten rule to marathon running and getting to the finish line and I bet most runners aren't even aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment